"All I want is to be left alone, in my average home. But why do I always feel, like I'm in the twilight zone..." Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me
Monday just comes too fast!
And here's Monday Madness; last weeks news that made me cringe, cuss or just shake my head.
1) Terri Vaughn name's her child after Superman: Alright y'all, I know this is going to seem out of order seeing that this is really not out of the ordinary. We have become so accustomed to people naming their children after cars, fruit and Disney characters, it's a damn shame. Whatever happened to Sheila and Deborah? And now, it seems like we have crossed into Marvel and DC Comics territory. How in your right mind, can you justify naming your child after Superman? Seriously - Kal' El is Kal-El regardless of how cute the apostrophe looks or how you spell it. And yes, I know she is not the first to do it. I do believe that Superman lover himself Nicholas Cage did something along the same lines. Hmmm, I'm contemplating Storm for my first daughter...riiiiight!! I just don't get it!
2) Jean Grae is retiring from the game: For those of you who do not know, Jean Grae is known as a phenomenal underground rap artist. Jean is an artist on Talib Kweli's label Blacksmith Music and has a couple of gems coming our way in June. She is terribly frustrated with the state of music and has decided to "retire." Welcome to the club Jean!! Now I really don't blame her, but she is an amazing artist from the tracks that I have heard her on. It's a shame that once again, real music is taking a back seat to commercialized sensationalism. It's too bad that the non talented artists out there are not the one's putting down their mics to make space for the real deal. Hopefully, Jean changes her mind.
3) Ronaldo arrested after transvestite fiasco: Oh boy, here we go. Soccer/football great Ronaldo has been caught in a difficult position, the AC Milan forward was caught with not one, but two transvestites. Yes, that's right–manly Ronaldo wanted to have a little fun, but did not realize that he was in for a bit more than that. Well, let's hope he didn't realize it! Of course, this whole transaction would not be complete without a mention of drugs and blackmail would it? Does the drama ever end?
4) Man has children with daughter held in captivity: I am sorry y'all but this son of a bitch had to make me cuss!! When I saw this on TV and read more about this, I was so disgusted and taken aback that I really did not know what to say. Just the thought of a man doing this to anyone, is disgusting, but a father to his own flesh and blood? That is down right appalling. I know that this is not the first time that we have heard something like this come to light and unfortunately, it will not be the last. Nonetheless, hearing it makes my stomach turn and my heart ache. To think that this man had the audacity and gall to imprison his child and children/grandchildren (I am shuddering at the thought) in an underground cellar and deprive them of their free will, is mind boggling. I'm sorry, but I hope the bastard rots in hell. Enough said.
5) Kanye cussin' people again: Well this time Kanye West has decided to cuss the hell out of Entertainment Weekly for giving his tour a B+ in their review. Lawd, Kanye was well vex! You need to read his rant. On some points I hear what he's saying, mind you it doesn't mean that I agree. Yet on the other hand, Ye is Ye, what can we say? Read the review here and see if Kanye has anything to really bitch about.
There are some other things that made me cringe, but they really were not worth a mention (Miley Cyrus, seriously girl please use your head! And I love her but, Madonna on BET–WTF?), so I will not even entertain the thought. Besides, next week is another week.
Flashback of the day: One of my girls was sharing some tunes that were spilling out of her soul this evening. My girl is another wikipedia of music, just like your favorite resident Connoisseur. So I have decided to go with one of her picks that she chose tonight, a song that HAS to be on your slow jam of all slow jam lists. Quincy certainly knew what he was doing when he brought this ensemble together. Enjoy!
Happy Monday y'all, see you soon...