Take Note!

Pictures and videos used on this site are all borrowed (well not all, some are actually mine) for everyone's viewing pleasure.  They are not being used in a malicious matter, it is all in good fun and most likely to promote the good stuff found.  Please don't threaten to sue, just ask me to take it down if it is a bother.  If not, thanks for the borrow!!!

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Somebody Pass Me Some Smelling Salts!

"Right now I'm missing music..."  Music - Leela James


My people, you will have to excuse the short entry today.  I will get to the reason in one minute, however just a couple of points on this glorious Sunday (it is Sunday right??):


I really think it is a guilty pleasure, but I love Chris Brown's Stargate produced track "With You".  I say guilty pleasure because of a few reasons.  One - it's a pop song.  Chris' first album was more of a hip hop infused get-your-ass-on-the-dance floor kind of set.  But then again you may disagree with me in a moment.  My other reason for calling it a guilty pleasure, is because the song seems to be a collection of the left over guitar riffs from previous Stargate produced songs.  That takes a jab at my musical taste, it actually makes me want to re-evaluate it and that drives me absolutely insane!!!!


There's nothing wrong with guitars, I love guitars! (But not as much as a really nice drum set!)  However, with tracks such as "Hate That I Love You" by Rhianna feat. Ne-Yo and ESPECIALLY "Irreplaceable" by Beyonce out there in heavy rotation, didn't they think that we would catch on?  It may not be the exact riff, slowed down or sped up, but it's pretty damn close!!!  What irks me is that as a music critic, I have to sit down and question if these producers think that we, as the consumers, are that oblivious to their actions.  And not to insult anyone, but we really are.  We are the ones who go out and purchase these albums and support the songs.  Whatever happened to making a fresh new sound?  Isn't that part of the challenge of being a producer?  They are good at what they do, because I always complain when the song comes on the radio.  But I always end up singing the song word for word.  Isn't that what always happens?  Go figure.  I assure you this is not the first time this has happened and it sure will not be the last.  Listen to the songs and let me know what you think.  Of course, I could just be having one of my crazy over analyzing moments.  


Also, if anyone is in the New York City area, the play Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is running at the Broadhurst Theatre.   The powerhouse of actors listed on the bill are luminaries such as Terrence Howard, James Earl Jones, Phylicia Rashad and Anika Noni Rose.  Support Black Hollywood at it's best please.  And just in case it does matter to you, Terrance will not be performing from April 15 - May 4th.  Boris Kodjoe will be filling in for him.  The reviews that I have read have been quite positive and that's amazing for an all black Tennessee Williams play.  Well the only successful one anyway.  I unfortunately have not seen it yet, however you will be the first one to know when I do get around to seeing it.

I thought I would finally get to the reason why this entry was so short.  Although looking back now, it doesn't seem short at all.  Anyhow - last week was a week to contend with.  Had a few roadblocks along the way, but such is life right?  For me, the only way to get out of that funk was to get into some funk.  I was in desperate need of a good ol' school soul party.  Being in the city, sitting in the car with my cuz, we both couldn't figure out what to get into.  So we ended up going to a restaurant, eating a fish that I absolutely HATE (that would be salmon, but ended up loving their dish), turned the car around because the night was already done to my chagrin and came back home.  That was last week, this is this week.  Well did I make up for it last night!!!


Last night my cuz and I ended up at a club called Hiro in Manhattan.  The line was long, but we all know it's always good to have a hook up.  So with hook up in tow, we ended up inside the beautiful Asian inspired club.  The club came complete with a winding orange wood staircase and Cirque de Soleil-esque women hanging from the ceiling doing acrobatics with white sheets.  Quite entertaining indeed.  However, the highlight of the night for me is when we discovered who was on the one's and two's.  One of the most influential dj's in funk and hip hop, yes yes y'all, the one and only:


Mr. Afrika Bambaataa himself!!

Ladies and gentlemen, did I get my funk ON!!!  With Bambaataa dropping tunes from Prince, SOS Band, Funkadelic and James Brown to name a few, the party had just begun.  But when he dropped "The 900 Number" by The 45 Kings?  It was o-v-e-r.  The party was exactly what I was calling on my musical gods for.   A night for me to break out in my best Kid 'n Play impersonation and do the damn thing!!!  I danced all night in my heels...well until Bambaataa was off the turntables that is.  It was a night of sweating, dancing and soaking in the soul.  And not to mention to celebrate a friend's birthday.   So here I am after walking through my doors at the wee hours of the morning (close to 6 am may I add, I am really getting too old for this!), plugging away at my blog.

And this would be the time for me to give you your shot of the video flashback, before I start divulging hot steamy secrets from my devilish past to you.  Anything is possible in this fog around my head.

Here is a true diva representing back when all you needed was a stage, stage presence, a mic and a VOICE.  I am sure that many of you will remember this:




On that note, see you soon...

Tha Connoisseur 

No comments: