Take Note!

Pictures and videos used on this site are all borrowed (well not all, some are actually mine) for everyone's viewing pleasure.  They are not being used in a malicious matter, it is all in good fun and most likely to promote the good stuff found.  Please don't threaten to sue, just ask me to take it down if it is a bother.  If not, thanks for the borrow!!!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Soul Music Is Not Going Anywhere!



"I'll be your freakazoid, c'mon and wind me up"  Midnight Star - Freakazoid


It has been a busy weekend ladies and gentlemen, at times I thought I would have to be wound up to go on.  But I wanted to get back to tackle the questionable debate between Aretha Franklin and Beyonce that took place at the Grammys.

Now, for those of you who do not know - Ms. Franklin had a problem with the Grammy's and Beyonce.  The problem was, Aretha did not like the fact that Beyonce referred to Tina Turner as "The Queen" during her dazzling prelude to her performance with Tina Turner.   Ms. Franklin referred to the snag as being "toe stepped", but gave her thanks to the Grammy's and Beyonce "anyway".


Being the daughter of an extreme connoisseur of music and elite Aretha Franklin fan (my sister's name is Aretha), I do respect the artist.  However, how can one be so trivial?  Beyonce referred to Tina Turner as The Queen, because she is one of the best.  She did not say the "Queen of Soul", where of course that would be an insult and mistake on Beyonce's part.  And then to add the snide remark "thanks to the Grammy's and Beyonce anyway" was just a kick in the teeth.   I feel that Aretha was being extremely petty about the situation.  And I am glad that Beyonce's camp has not set out to make a big deal out of it.  So I dare ask, were there grounds for Aretha's comments?  And are there grounds for mine?  Let me know what you think.

On a much more melodic note, last night I attended the Jazzy Soul Collective concert at BB Kings in Time Square.  The bill consisted of 4 independent artists who are working hard at bringing love back to soul music.  Saxophonist Jimmy Sommers with R&B artists Vikter Duplaix, Gordon Chambers and Lynne Fiddmont took to the stage.  Each brought their own style and vibe to the venue.  A vibe that cannot be mistaken.  To all who are aching for a good dose of soul music, please take heed to the above artists.  Independent artists are doing very well for themselves, so we do need to continue to support their grind.  Vikter Duplaix (who may I add I am in love with) was just nominated for a Grammy, which is a big step for an independent artist.  And Gordon Chambers is a Grammy award winning writer (Anita Baker, Isley Brothers etc) as well as a gifted singer.  Please take note that the music listed above is for ADULTS ONLY!  It is for those who know and were raised on the Isley Brothers, Luther Vandross and Teddy Pendergrass.  For those of us who enjoy a real ballad and a real love song, these are the artists for you.

Here is a snippet of Gordon Chambers channeling his Al Green:





And of course,  I have to leave you with the video of the day.  I think this is one of their best, although I am sure some will beg to differ.  Smooth and mellow, what they do best.



On that note, I bid thee farwell for today.  I will be back soon with some more news on the horizon.  

Tha Connoisseur


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to the fantastic dialouges that I know you will be bringing to this page.. You are a great conversationalist, probably the biggest music fan I know and this is a great venue for sharing this passion...
On Aretha?? Hell yah.. you have the right to ask if she had any grounds for causing a stir? All I can say is that she has definitely lost some points with me on the RESPECT scale ..and she needs a stylist..perhaps Beyonce can offer her up a reference or two..and for that there will be reason to say " thank you!"

Peace..ur sista in Sauga